Do I need Uninsured/Underinsured motorist coverage?

Woman standing outside of her car after a wreck

Yes, let me repeat that. Yes!

Florida drivers are not required to have it but everyone should purchase uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage.

Uninsured motorist coverage will cover you for injuries sustained by an at-fault driver who either did not have insurance at all or did not have enough coverage for your injuries.  Florida has the highest percentage of uninsured drivers in the country. It also covers you if you are the victim of a Jacksonville hit and run driver.

Underinsured motorist coverage, also covers you  when the at-fault driver has insurance, but lacks enough coverage to fully compensate the person impacted for all their damages. So even when the other driver had “full coverage,” they sometimes won’t have enough to cover the full damages in the event of a serious or catastrophic car accident.

The good news is that UM/UIM coverage does come standard in Florida insurance policies, and drivers must sign a waiver rejecting it if they don’t want it. The bad news is that many Jacksonville drivers do not understand how important it is to purchase UM insurance and sign the waiver without ever asking what it is. If you have been in a car accident and you are not sure if you have UM insurance call Henry Gare Personal Injury Attorney at 904-387-6101.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *