I Was a Passenger in A Jacksonville Car Accident and I am Hurt, Can I File a Claim?

Front of a vehicle damaged in a wreck

Are you a passenger who has suffered injuries in a Florida car accident? Most drivers know to contact their insurance companies for compensation for medical expenses and other losses. But what if you suffered injuries as a passenger? Who pays for your injuries?

These are great questions, and Henry Gare Personal Injury Attorney 904- 387-6101 has the answers. Contact us 24/7

Frequently Asked Questions about Passenger Injuries

How can I receive compensation after being injured as a passenger in Florida?

All Florida drivers must carry Personal Injury Protection (PIP) benefits as part of their no-fault auto insurance policy. A driver’s PIP benefits usually extend to their passengers as well. These benefits are your first option after a crash. Once you’ve exhausted your PIP benefits, you may be able to have your car insurance or health insurance provider cover some of

your losses. You may be able to file a personal injury claim against the driver who hit you, but you’ll have to demonstrate that you’ve met Florida’s serious injury threshold first. EVEN IF YOU DO NOT OWN A CAR YOU CAN STILL GET TREATED FOR YOUR PAIN!

What types of damages can I claim?

PIP benefits cover your medical bills and a certain percentage of your wages after a crash, but that’s it. To recover compensation for any other losses, you’ll have to file a personal injury claim or lawsuit if your injury meets the criteria for a serious injury. But if your personal injury claim succeeds, you can potentially recover compensation for:

  • Medical bills
  • Out of pocket costs
  • Lost wages
  • Reduced earning capacity (if disabled)
  • Pain and suffering, Mental anguish
  • Emotional distress

When can I sue the other driver?

You can only sue another driver if you suffered serious injuries as defined by Florida law. These may include:

  • Broken bones
  • Bodily or facial disfigurement
  • Any injuries that permanently limits the use of a bodily organ or member
  • Any injuries that significantly limits the use of a bodily function or system
  • Any injuries that leave you substantially or completely disabled for at least 90 days

Who should I discuss the accident with?

After your Jacksonville car crash call Henry Gare Personal Injury Attorney at 904-387-6101. It’s wise to consult with a car accident lawyer before speaking with the driver’s insurance representatives. Insurance adjusters are not on your side. No matter how sympathetic they sound, they will look for a reason to deny or diminish your claim.

With that in mind, also keep any discussions of the crash off social media. Investigators could use any posts you make about the accident to argue that you are not as injured as you claim.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *